Sunday, January 8, 2012

How did I get here?

Back in July I realized after finishing my educational career that I missed writing.  I began a blog to "release" those creative juices.  The first blog was a bucket list in which I wrote the 10 things I would like to do if time and money was no issue.  For a month I wrote pretty much everyday, but I found myself starting at #10 on that list, to make a career writing. 

I don't know where it happened or when it happened, but I decided I was going to write a book.  I quit blogging and for a month I did research on a book.  I do know on the 3rd of October, 2011, I began writing my novel.  I chuckle when I look at the original notes of my book and what actually ended up on paper.  What is so funny, is the main character, John Fowler, was simply noted as hero.  I had no idea who John was or what he was going to be about.  It was literally on October 3rd, that John was created.  I didn't know his convoluted back-story or that my novel would become a character driven novel.  I didn't know about his murdered wife Sam, her killer, and a Virginian Senator that at times sounds like Foghorn Leghorn.  I didn't know about any of these characters, but today I've got notes everywhere about them, and what they're going to do through my first four books. 

I don't know how many times I almost threw in the towel, but each time I was about to, something was said from a friend, or someone at church, or just an innocent comment made by someone in passing that kept me going.  Today I have finished a novel, and it's sitting in a publisher's hands. 

I had a friend that asked me if it went no further have I acomplished something, and the answer is yes, I have.  I was good with it.  I was fine; win, lose or draw.  Notice I'm using the word was.  Something changed today.  Today I was sitting in church and there was a guest speaker.  Today the speaker said, "God knows your dreams, even the ones you dare not voice." 

The dreams I dare not voice.  So have I voiced my dreams?  I don't know, I put it down on a bucket list, but it was something I said I would like to do if money was no option and time wasn't either.

So let me say it, loud and proud.  I want to be a publisher author, and I want to make a living at it.  Will I?  Only God knows the answer to that question, but I can tell you, I'm going to do my best to make it happen.  I may never be James Patterson, but by golly, James Patterson may never be David Carner. 

So there it is.  I don't know what's going to happen, but I do know I'm going to give this thing my all.  If you'd like to help, it's real simple.  When this book is published (we're being positive here) I ask you give it a shot and tell all your friends.  Anything you can post or share online, in advance, I thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment